Monday, May 30, 2011

MHL SUMMER QUAD FISH REVIEW




THE ALTERNATIVE SURF CULTURE

     During this days after some strange out of season swells, which is great, finally I have the opportunity of  testing my new wave vehicle from MHL Customs in Puerto Rico. As I mentioned earlier dimensions are:height 6.0, nose 15 1/2, width 21, tail 15 1/2 swallow, thickness 2 1/2, single to a double concave ending in a vee after trailer fins, thin rails , eps/epoxy construction, AKU Shaper computer design and ending detail hand shaping by master craftman Greg Jaudon.
     Conditions were small, knee to waist high glassy waves in Rivermouth Point in Rincon. The initial impressions of the board is its lightness in which I need to get used to. I used Future 438 vector fins and 3.75 trailers in this session.
     Paddling is just a joy, after many hours of reading and taking in advantage the new technology 35 liters is ideal for me in this conditions.The full nose and low rocker ( nose 4" and tail 2") are a good combo for summer. Extremly easy to  catch waves , fast and furious down the line. This tipe of construction and its lightness give what many experts describes as a feeling of liveness and instant drive. As I mentioned in previous posts quads are excellent for mortals average middle age surfers like me. One aspect that I felt is that foward wide outline help incredibly in catching waves, but in tuns you need to look for the tail. This is compensed with a screeming speed down the line.
     I am very pleased with the result that I have with computer design which always end in the hand of the sculptor which transfer the magic and experience. The advantage is quantification of an exact volume and the capabilities of future replication of the product.
    I want to thank Greg and Nick for their time and superb professional craftmanship. I recomend MHL Customs without reservations.
    

1 comment:

jaudon said...

Stoked you like the board! I am building the same model to take to Indo soon.